HelpAge India is a leading charity platform in India working with and for disadvantaged elderly and has become the representative voice for India’s elderly. This contest is for school level kids to visualize themselves as 64 years old, and accordingly write an essay, make a film using a mobile phone or design a product all about enabling Happiness after Sixty
All topics will start with the perspective of "When I'm 64"so that the students visualize his/her life at that age.
- "When I am 64 – Wondering what new skills I can learn from my grandchildren"
- "When I am 64 – What new activities I can take up now that I am retired"
- "When I am 64 – What I can do to involve young people in teaching under privileged children"
- "When I am 64 – How I can use my past work experience to work for the betterment of my city"
Minimum word count: 1000.
Category 1A: Essays in English
Category 1B: Essays in the official vernacular language of the State.
Mobile video films
All films will be made using mobile phones. The films will be based on interviews with a senior citizen who will be asked to narrate his/her unique/interesting incident from his/her life which shaped the course of his/her life.
- Duration of film: minimum duration 3 minutes, maximum duration 5 minutes.
- Opening Shot: every video clip must have an opening shot of the student holding a piece of white A4 size paper stating clearly in capital letters: Name, Class, School, City, State.
Plan and prove functionality of a product that would help senior citizens in their daily life. You may choose from any of the following ideas, or think of a new product concept.
- Remove a danger (must specify which and why) that elders face in their daily lives by providing a safety device.
- Develop an alarm system that could alert children/neighbours/security guards whenever a senior citizen has a fall at home/ in the bathroom/ on the staircase (must apply in all three situations).
- Design walking shoes for senior citizens that offer comfort and relief from knee pain/arthritis.
- Any gadget/ product that will be easy for an elder to use given that elders have to live with reduced strength in their arms and reduced mobility.
You must submit a concept paper and a line drawing of the product that you have imagined. There is no need to actually create the product.
Students of class 8-10 of any school are eligible to apply.
Please contact your school and find out whether your school is participating in the contest, in which case they will be forwarding all Student entries. You can submit your entries in hard copy or soft copy format to your school.
You can also participate directly by clicking on the Enroll Now button below.
You can also post your essay or your project write up or your mobile video film on a CD to the local HelpAge India State office.
Please read the complete rules of the contest.
Schools can upload all student entries on our website. Click on the Enroll Now button below to upload multiple student entries.
Schools can also post student essays or project write-ups and mobile video films on CDs to the local HelpAge India State office (address given in the website – Contact Us section).The bunch of entries must have a covering school enrolment form.
C-14, Qutab Institutional Area
New Delhi – 110016
Toll Free Elder Help Line:1800-180-1253
Phone: 011 41688955-56