Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) is a premier national research institution under the aegis of the Department of Space, Government of India. Founded in 1947 by Dr. Vikram A. Sarabhai, PRL is known to be the “cradle of space sciences” in India. The laboratory has four campuses, located at Ahmedabad, Mt. Abu and Udaipur. The main campus in Navrangpura, Ahmedabad houses most areas of research activities with the exception of programmes in Astronomy, Astrophysics and Planetary Science & Exploration which are located at Thaltej campus in Ahmedabad. The astronomical and solar observatories are located at Mt. Abu and Udaipur, respectively. PRL offers Junior Research Fellowships leading to a Ph.D. degree in the following broad scientific areas:
- Astronomy & Astrophysics
- Solar Physics
- Planetary Sciences
- Space and Atmospheric Sciences
- Theoretical Physics
Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) programme starts usually in the month of July/August every year.
- B.Sc. and M.Sc. in one of the following subjects: Physics, Space Sciences, Atmospheric Sciences, Chemistry, Geology, Geophysics, Ocean Sciences and Climate Sciences.
- A minimum of 60% marks at both Bachelor’s and Master’s level are required for all candidates.
- Age Limit: Not more than 25 years as on 31st December 2013 (i.e., born on or after 31.12.1988).
- All the candidates interested in applying to the PRL JRF programme should fill the online application form. This is also applicable to candidates applying through various competitive examinations like JEST/GATE/CSIR-UGC-NET-JRF.
- Each application will be screened. Shortlisted candidates will be subjected to selection in two stages: a written test, followed by an interview of those who score well in the written test. Candidates with high score in any one of JEST / GATE / UGC-CSIR NET may be invited to directly appear for the interview.