The GREEN Olympiad is designed in an innovative manner to test the knowledge of students in the field of environment and in turn create awareness about issues touching their daily lives. This annual initiative reaches out to regions across India having limited access to such educational programmes. The purpose is to improve and expand environment education both at the national and international level. It aspires to develop human resources, institutional infrastructure and a diverse mixture of locale-specific, regional and national action plans to sensitize schools on the need for environmental protection.
- To raise awareness amongst school students on environmental issues
- To instil a sense of responsibility amongst students, teachers, and the larger school community towards the planet
- To educate students about interdependence between man and the environment
- To encourage students to actively participate in efforts to conserve the environment and help mitigate climate change
- Realize potential of ‘students’ for national and international leadership as knowledge-based agents of change in the field of energy, environment, other natural resources and sustainable development
- Inspire and reach out to diverse stakeholders for realizing a shared vision of global sustainable development
- Enhance networking for sustainable interventions
The GREEN Olympiad is open to students from classes VIII, IX and X enrolled in schools affiliated to recognized education boards and educational trusts from across India and abroad. Over the years, besides India, the programme has reached out to schools in the Middle East, Nepal, Singapore, Russia, Kenya Indonesia, Iran, Bhutan, Russia, Nepal, and Singapore. With a modest beginning of 10 cities in 1999, this programme had reached out to 375 cities in 2007. Today, students from more than 600 cities and towns in India and abroad participate in the Olympiad. In 2012, more than two lakh students have taken this examination.
The GREEN Olympiad addresses the need for networking amongst the schools to establish a ‘Platform’ and helps the students to connect and understand what is happening in the world around them. Schools in the semi-urban and rural areas often have limited access to information on environment. To address this problem, TERI partners with regional education boards and trusts which have schools in remote areas.
The following countries participated in the GREEN Olympiad 2012:
- Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- State of Qatar
- Sultanate of Oman
- United Arab Emirates
The GREEN Olympiad examination is conducted both in English and Hindi with the objective of reaching out to a large number of schools. The paper comprises of 100 multiple choice questions. Upon receiving completed registration forms from schools, each student is assigned a roll number, details of which are uploaded on the project website. Question papers are dispatched in sealed boxes to all the participating schools. As in the past, the school serves as the examination centres for its respective participating students. The GREEN Olympiad question paper consists of questions on the identified themes each year.
Date Of Examination:3rd Sep 2014
15th Oct 2014